Download PCC and Fabric Committee Minutes on 30th May 2019 Download PCC and Fabric Committee Minutes on 30th May 2019
St Mary, Houghton with Wyton Parochial Church Council Diocesan Vision: We pray to be generous and visible people of Jesus Christ
Draft/Minutes of a meeting held in the St. Mary’s Centre on Thursday 30 th May 2019 Present: The Rev Geoff Boucher, Mike Batchelor, Joy Bell, John Daines, Liz Lee, Guy Morton, Simon Summers, Andrew Taylor, Jenny Thompson. 1. Apologies for absence: Fay Butterworth, Roger Churchill, Trish Hawitt Palmer, Sarah Holden, Debbie Hollis 2. Minutes of the previous meeting on 20 th March 2019 were approved subject to some minor corrections. 3. Matters arising: compostable cups had now been acquired for use for coffee after morning services once the current stock of non-compostable cups had been used up. It was agreed that, nevertheless, members of the congregation should be encouraged to bring their own reusable cups in order to reduce our environmental impact further. 4. Co-option of additional members and re-election of officers: The PCC agreed to co-opt Roger Churchill as an additional member. Trish Hawitt Palmer and Simon Summers were re-elected as Secretary and Treasurer respectively, and the PCC recorded its thanks for their past and continuing service. 5. Children’s Church: there were no material changes since the last meeting. Activities continued to go well, albeit with relatively small numbers attending. One of our recent joiners, Olivia, would be baptized soon. The continuing need for further volunteers was noted, given the need for two adults to be present at every session for safeguarding reasons. Sarah Holden was to undergo DBS checks if required to enable her to help. 6. Committee Reports: Pastoral and Worship Committee The Committee had not met since the last PCC; it was to meet next on 13 th June. The Houghton School Choir was to sing at the Feast Week open air service on 14 th July. Liz Lee was to contact the Scouts regarding their possible attendance. Social Committee The nearly new sale organized on 8 th May with the assistance of the Village Time Bank had raised £200. There was to be a concert in the Church on 2 nd June at 4 p.m., featuring the Military Wives Choir and the Ouse Valley Chorus. Fabric Committee The Fabric Committee had met immediately before this meeting. Proposals on work required on the bells and the tower were awaited from the Bell Captain and Tower Warden. An expert had been consulted on the sound system. He had commended the system as of high quality and suitable for a church of this size, but suggested that its performance and ease of use could be improved by the addition of a further speaker at the back of the church, the purchase of an additional lapel microphone and pouches to make the packs for the lapel microphones easier to use, and the purchase of a media player to facilitate the playing of music from memory sticks and other devices. The aggregate cost of these would be around £2,000. After discussion, the PCC agreed to proceed and authorized this expenditure. Arrangements were being made for the Church to have its own green bin. Commencement of the painting work on the St. Mary’s Centre, which had been scheduled to begin on 29 th April, had had to be postponed because of delays in setting up the scaffolding. It was hoped that this would be resolved shortly. The St. Mary’s Centre gas meter had now been replaced. A report on the fire alarm system in the St. Mary’s Centre had revealed that improvements and remedial work were required. A quotation for the installation of a wireless system, which would avoid the need to replace inadequate wiring, was to be sought. Following the complaint from the owner of a property neighbouring Wyton churchyard, the tree in the corner of the churchyard had been inspected by a tree surgeon. It had been agreed in principle that the tree should be removed to prevent future problems, but enquiries with the diocese had shown that a faculty would be required for this purpose. The Committee agreed that a faculty should be applied for. The Committee also discussed the replacement of part of the fencing between the Rectory and Wyton churchyard. The present fence was failing, and a quotation had been obtained for the supply and fitting of three No. 6 6 foot x 6 foot lap panels on concrete slotted posts, with 6 inch concrete gravel boards, for a total cost of £580. The PCC agreed to authorize this expenditure. 7. Treasurer’s Report: Simon Summers reported that the accounts for the year ended 31 st December 2018 had been sent to the diocese after their approval by the Annual General Meeting on 28 th April. The current cash balance on the PCC’s current account stood at approximately £8,400, which was satisfactory. Invoices for the work which we carry out on maintaining Houghton churchyard had been sent to the Parish Council, and were under discussion; the main outstanding item was whether the Parish Council would accept a charge for time spent by volunteers. 8. Charitable giving: A donation of £250 to Little Lambs, a charity in Cape Town South Africa commended by Fay Butterworth, was agreed. 9. Thy Kingdom Come initiative: as noted at the last PCC meeting, this would be the theme of Café Church on 2 nd June. A stone tile to form the base of a cairn for stones symbolizing prayers would be placed in the sanctuary. 10. Diocesan Synod report: No new report was available. It was agreed that we should try to arrange an early visit from Bishop Dagmar following her forthcoming consecration. 11. Deanery Synod report: Geoff Boucher had been unable to attend the most recent meeting. The Rev Canon Brian Atling was to retire as Rural Dean in mid-June, to be succeeded by the Rev Ian Brennand. 12. Correspondence: there was no relevant correspondence to report. 13. Any other business: It was agreed that a card should be sent on behalf of the PCC to the Rev Kate Baker, with our good wishes on the occasion of her forthcoming ordination as priest on 29 th June. 14. Next meeting: The next meeting would take place on 18 th July at 7 p.m. Notes of Meeting of FABRIC COMMITTEE held on Thursday 30th May 2019 at 6pm in the St Mary’s Centre Attended by : Rev. G Boucher (GB) Simon Summers (SS) Mike Batchelor (MB) Guy Morton (GM) Joy Bell (JB) 1. Matters arising Items covered within minutes below 2 Church Building and Churchyard Matters Sound System - MB outlined the cost of approximately £2,000 which had been received for a new speaker, lapel microphone and pouches and Media player. PCC to be consulted and approve the purchase after a firm cost had been received, MB to action. Ansley Grave – work completed although JB asked if the lettering could be improved, GB stated this was the best that could be achieved. Bell Tower – Drain to be reviewed during next Churchyard Clean-up. Bells/Tower – GM to discuss with Sally Mew work required to refurbish same. Lead Roof Alarm –Smart Water to be painted on the lead roof. MB to action when weather permits. Free Green Bin still not delivered, SS reported if not received before the end of June re-imbursement will be required for existing green bin we hire. 3. Chapel Building matters Damp Problems on Dining Room Extension wall, front porch and within new kitchen area noted in the Structural Survey. Two weeks would be required for the works, MB advised this work would commence in early August. Overhanging vegetation discussed with John Talbot (Tree Specialist) who advised weed killer may be available which would alleviate the problems associated with the bushes removal. John Talbot will review and advise. External painting – Polly Hudson commenced work but stopped as we still await the scaffolding, MB advised this would be erected within the next two weeks.. Wall crack noted at top of stairs, Structural Engineer suggests we continue to monitor and if extends, repair will be required. Gas Meter has been changed. Fire alarm System – letter received from Cromwell Fire (Maintenance Company) indicating work is required to bring the system up to current standard. After discussion it was decided to approach Cromwell and seek an estimate for a wireless system, MB to arrange. 4. Wyton Churchyard matters Cracks in wall bounding the Wyton Graveyard, tree removal quote received from John Talbot, GB advised that following discussion with the Diocese he had been informed a Faculty is required. GB to review what is required SS to advise insurers. Discussion took place on the possibility of closing of the Graveyard, SS to investigate. Fence Panel Replacement – Graham Leggitt’s quotation of £580 accepted, GB to arrange. 5. Administration Health & safety Documentation - MB to discuss changes with PCC Secretary and have policies represented for approval. Website – now active and webmasters are Pat & Haleema Hawkins from Hartford. GM requested Webmaster are given a copy of the Psalm Book we use in order to get the correct pointing, MB to arrange. 6. Any Other Business SS in discussion with Parish Council over charge for churchyard maintenance. 7. Date of Next Meeting Next Meeting set for Thursday 18 th July 2019 at 6 pm in the St Mary’s Centre.
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
St Mary, Houghton with Wyton Parochial Church Council
Draft/Minutes of a meeting held in the St. Mary’s Centre on Thursday 30 May 2019 Present: The Rev Geoff Boucher, Mike Batchelor, Joy Bell, John Daines, Liz Lee, Guy Morton, Simon Summers, Andrew Taylor, Jenny Thompson. 1.Apologies for absence: Fay Butterworth, Roger Churchill, Trish Hawitt Palmer, Sarah Holden, Debbie Hollis 2.Minutes of the previous meeting on 20 March 2019 were approved subject to some minor corrections. 3.Matters arising: compostable cups had now been acquired for use for coffee after morning services once the current stock of non- compostable cups had been used up. It was agreed that, nevertheless, members of the congregation should be encouraged to bring their own reusable cups in order to reduce our environmental impact further. 4.Co-option of additional members and re- election of officers: The PCC agreed to co-opt Roger Churchill as an additional member. Trish Hawitt Palmer and Simon Summers were re- elected as Secretary and Treasurer respectively, and the PCC recorded its thanks for their past and continuing service. 5.Children’s Church: there were no material changes since the last meeting. Activities continued to go well, albeit with relatively small numbers attending. One of our recent joiners, Olivia, would be baptized soon. The continuing need for further volunteers was noted, given the need for two adults to be present at every session for safeguarding reasons. Sarah Holden was to undergo DBS checks if required to enable her to help. 6.Committee Reports: Pastoral and Worship Committee ·The Committee had not met since the last PCC; it was to meet next on 13 June. The Houghton School Choir was to sing at the Feast Week open air service on 14 July. Liz Lee was to contact the Scouts regarding their possible attendance. Social Committee ·The nearly new sale organized on 8 May with the assistance of the Village Time Bank had raised £200. ·There was to be a concert in the Church on 2 June at 4 p.m., featuring the Military Wives Choir and the Ouse Valley Chorus. Fabric Committee ·The Fabric Committee had met immediately before this meeting. ·Proposals on work required on the bells and the tower were awaited from the Bell Captain and Tower Warden. ·An expert had been consulted on the sound system. He had commended the system as of high quality and suitable for a church of this size, but suggested that its performance and ease of use could be improved by the addition of a further speaker at the back of the church, the purchase of an additional lapel microphone and pouches to make the packs for the lapel microphones easier to use, and the purchase of a media player to facilitate the playing of music from memory sticks and other devices. The aggregate cost of these would be around £2,000. After discussion, the PCC agreed to proceed and authorized this expenditure. ·Arrangements were being made for the Church to have its own green bin. ·Commencement of the painting work on the St. Mary’s Centre, which had been scheduled to begin on 29 April, had had to be postponed because of delays in setting up the scaffolding. It was hoped that this would be resolved shortly. ·The St. Mary’s Centre gas meter had now been replaced. ·A report on the fire alarm system in the St. Mary’s Centre had revealed that improvements and remedial work were required. A quotation for the installation of a wireless system, which would avoid the need to replace inadequate wiring, was to be sought. ·Following the complaint from the owner of a property neighbouring Wyton churchyard, the tree in the corner of the churchyard had been inspected by a tree surgeon. It had been agreed in principle that the tree should be removed to prevent future problems, but enquiries with the diocese had shown that a faculty would be required for this purpose. The Committee agreed that a faculty should be applied for. ·The Committee also discussed the replacement of part of the fencing between the Rectory and Wyton churchyard. The present fence was failing, and a quotation had been obtained for the supply and fitting of three No. 6 6 foot x 6 foot lap panels on concrete slotted posts, with 6 inch concrete gravel boards, for a total cost of £580. The PCC agreed to authorize this expenditure. 7. Treasurer’s Report: Simon Summers reported that the accounts for the year ended 31December 2018 had been sent to the diocese after their approval by the Annual General Meeting on 28 April. The current cash balance on the PCC’s current account stood at approximately £8,400, which was satisfactory. Invoices for the work which we carry out on maintaining Houghton churchyard had been sent to the Parish Council, and were under discussion; the main outstanding item was whether the Parish Council would accept a charge for time spent by volunteers. 8. Charitable giving: A donation of £250 to Little Lambs, a charity in Cape Town South Africa commended by Fay Butterworth, was agreed. 9. Thy Kingdom Come initiative: as noted at the last PCC meeting, this would be the theme of Café Church on 2 June. A stone tile to form the base of a cairn for stones symbolizing prayers would be placed in the sanctuary. 10. Diocesan Synod report: No new report was available. It was agreed that we should try to arrange an early visit from Bishop Dagmar following her forthcoming consecration. 11. Deanery Synod report: Geoff Boucher had been unable to attend the most recent meeting. The Rev Canon Brian Atling was to retire as Rural Dean in mid-June, to be succeeded by the Rev Ian Brennand. 12. Correspondence: there was no relevant correspondence to report. 13. Any other business: It was agreed that a card should be sent on behalf of the PCC to the Rev Kate Baker, with our good wishes on the occasion of her forthcoming ordination as priest on 29 June. 14. Next meeting: The next meeting would take place on 18 July at 7 p.m. Notes of Meeting of FABRIC COMMITTEE held on Thursday 30th May 2019 at 6pm in the St Mary’s Centre Attended by : Rev. G Boucher (GB) Simon Summers (SS) Mike Batchelor (MB) Guy Morton (GM) Joy Bell (JB) 1.Matters arising ·Items covered within minutes below 2 Church Building and Churchyard Matters ·Sound System - MB outlined the cost of approximately £2,000 which had been received for a new speaker, lapel microphone and pouches and Media player. PCC to be consulted and approve the purchase after a firm cost had been received, MB to action. ·Ansley Grave – work completed although JB asked if the lettering could be improved, GB stated this was the best that could be achieved. ·Bell Tower – Drain to be reviewed during next Churchyard Clean-up. ·Bells/Tower – GM to discuss with Sally Mew work required to refurbish same. ·Lead Roof Alarm –Smart Water to be painted on the lead roof. MB to action when weather permits. ·Free Green Bin still not delivered, SS reported if not received before the end of June re- imbursement will be required for existing green bin we hire. 3. Chapel Building matters Damp Problems on Dining Room Extension wall, front porch and within new kitchen area noted in the Structural Survey. Two weeks would be required for the works, MB advised this work would commence in early August. ·Overhanging vegetation discussed with John Talbot (Tree Specialist) who advised weed killer may be available which would alleviate the problems associated with the bushes removal. John Talbot will review and advise. ·External painting – Polly Hudson commenced work but stopped as we still await the scaffolding, MB advised this would be erected within the next two weeks.. ·Wall crack noted at top of stairs, Structural Engineer suggests we continue to monitor and if extends, repair will be required. ·Gas Meter has been changed. ·Fire alarm System – letter received from Cromwell Fire (Maintenance Company) indicating work is required to bring the system up to current standard. After discussion it was decided to approach Cromwell and seek an estimate for a wireless system, MB to arrange. 4. Wyton Churchyard matters ·Cracks in wall bounding the Wyton Graveyard, tree removal quote received from John Talbot, GB advised that following discussion with the Diocese he had been informed a Faculty is required. GB to review what is required SS to advise insurers. ·Discussion took place on the possibility of closing of the Graveyard, SS to investigate. ·Fence Panel Replacement – Graham Leggitt’s quotation of £580 accepted, GB to arrange. 5. Administration ·Health & safety Documentation - MB to discuss changes with PCC Secretary and have policies represented for approval. ·Website – now active and webmasters are Pat & Haleema Hawkins from Hartford. GM requested Webmaster are given a copy of the Psalm Book we use in order to get the correct pointing, MB to arrange. 6. Any Other Business ·SS in discussion with Parish Council over charge for churchyard maintenance. 7. Date of Next Meeting ·Next Meeting set for Thursday 18 July 2019 at 6 pm in the St Mary’s Centre.